“ASK” - To call on for an answer. To make a request.
James 4:2 - You do not have because you do not ask.
Ask - Receive (Expectation to receive my request)
Seek - Find (Expectation to find what I’m looking for)
Knock - It shall be opened (Expectation someone will open the door I’m knocking on!)
We asked for salvation (Anyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved)
We asked for forgiveness (forgive me Lord! I am a sinner.)
"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him” (Col 2)
Now, we ask Him for Wisdom (James 1)
We ask Him for strength (Col 1)
We ask Him for deliverance
We ask Him for healing
We ask Him for attitude changes and addictions to be broken
We’re taught by Jesus to ASK OUR FATHER for 7 things: (Mt 6)
- Name to be hallowed
- His kingdom comes (Rev 20:20 - Even so come Lord Jesus)
- His will is done
- For our daily bread
- For forgiveness of our debts
- That he leads us not into temptation
- That he delivers us from evil
SEVEN TIMES. ASK ASK ASK!
We ask for everything in Childlike faith that we’ll receive it!
Mt 7 - “if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more
will your Father give good things TO THOSE WHO ASK HIM!”
Prayer is like - A man knocking @ a door late at night saying “Friend, lend me 3 loaves!”
- A widow before a judge saying, “Give me justice!”
- A son asking for bread or for a piece fish
Prayer is SIMPLE!
We must Ask for Revelation of what we’ve already been given in Christ
Point #3) Knowing God’s will allows us to keep our faith in the right place
As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. And Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.” And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
- "Have faith in God", not:
- in our ability to say the correct words to the mountain
- in our ability to keep from doubting
- in our ability to keep on believing that we’ve received it
Point #2) Knowing God’s will allows us to ask effectively & confidently in prayer
I Jn 5:14-15
And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know (posses the experiential knowledge) that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have (we are confident that we now possess in the future) the requests that we have asked of him.
“If we know….we know”
Point #1) We know His will by asking to know His will
Four Questions - What, How, Why, Result?
… we have not ceased to pray for you, asking (two things)
1) - that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will (What)
- in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, (How)
- so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, (Why)
- bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. (Result)
2) - may you be strengthened with all power, (What)
- according to his glorious might, (How)
- for all endurance and patience with joy, (Why)
- giving thanks to the Father (Result)
The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”(Jn 4:14)