I John 5:3 - For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
Definition of loving God : Keeping His commandments & Obeying Him.
His commandments are NOT burdensome = Obeying Him is NOT burdensome
Nothing clears the static like obedience.
Nothing lights up the next step on the path like taking the FIRST step of obedience
He told us to take.
Sounds easy - BUT - how is obeying God & keeping His commandments “Not Burdensome” when our obedience leads to:
- Loss of property
- Death ????
Secret is LOVE.
- Love for HIM.
- Loving His presence.
- Loving His ways.
- Being passionate to see His face
(“Don’t let your love grow cold” - “You’ve left your first love”)
Because the only obedience that pleases God is born out of love.
Old proverb : “Love Feels No Loads”
Glimpse of this in Genesis 29:18 - 20
“Jacob Loved Rachel” -
“Jacob served (Laban) 7 years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few days BECAUSE of the love he had for her.”
The very HEART of Christianity - the HEART of discipleship - WHAT IT’S ALL ABOUT -
is the LOVE of God.
What does Romans 13:10 remind us?
"Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”
Again - Obedience to God is BORN out of love for God.
Deuteronomy : “Second Law” - One of the greatest OT books
- Last of Moses’ 5 books (Pentateuch)
- A Retelling by Moses of the events & teachings of Exodus, Leviticus & Numbers
- A long sermon to the younger Israelite generation
- Used to prepare them in the desert for their conquest of the Promised Land
- Likewise used to prepare Jesus in the desert for his same conquest spiritually
- One and only book quoted by Jesus (3x) during his desert temptation
- Jesus referenced Genesis, Psalms, Isaiah & Deuteronomy very often
- Quoted over 80x in New Testament
Covenant renewed with younger generation - in Moab b4 entering promised land
Deuteronomy 30: 6, 11-16
for THIS COMMANDMENT that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off!!
What commandment? - vs 16 - “Loving the Lord Your God…”
1) It’s not too hard for us - not “perfect love” - but “real love” for God
2) It’s not far off - in heaven or across the sea
3) The word is very near you - in your mouth & in your heart
- Because the Lord was going to write His commands on our heart! (30:6)
POINT: - "SO THAT YOU CAN DO IT.”
So we can obey from the heart!
THIS is the Love of God!
Obeying His commandments is not burdensome!
Even when being obedient means humbling ourselves like Jesus:
Phil 2:8 - And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross