Jesus main problem - “godly” Jews, not “pagan” Romans
I Cor 2:12 -16
MAIN ISSUE: Thinking / living as a “Natural Person” or “Spiritual Person”
vs 12 - spirit OF the world. Of = born into / part of who you are.
Spirit FROM God - FROM = gift / given from God.
vs 12 - Plural language: “we” have received…. that “we” might understand the things freely given “us” by God
vs 12 - Why? Role of the Spirit to help us understand the things FREELY Given us by God.
- Unpack what we already have.
- What “things” have we been given?
- 1:30 - Wisdom, Righteousness, Sanctification, Redemption
- Where have we been given these “things” ? IN CHRIST
vs 14 - “Natural” = from “Psuche” = Soul / Soulish
- For the natural person - his soul (Mind, Will, Emotion) - dominates his entire being
- He lives BY the soul. - Reasons and decides from it.
- The natural person does not employ his spirit - he does not put it to use. Does not exercise it.
- He cannot accept the things of the Spirit of God - WHY?
1) They’re folly to him (Foolishness to him) - because they don’t align with the spirit of the World
2) He cannot understand them = because they are spiritually discerned - from the Spirit of God.
As a result of the Fall - the natural mind is unable to keep in step with the mind of Christ.
vs 15 - “Spiritual person” - His entire being (his soul) is ruled, controlled, dominated by his spirit.
- He accepts and understands the (deep” things of the Spirit of God.
Why? (Jn 4:24) - God is spirit, and those who worship Him MUST worship in spirit and truth.
- Judges all things, but is judged by no one.
EXAMPLE: John 7:1-10 - spiritually minded Jesus & his naturally minded brothers
#1) The spirit of the world esteems the world / The Spirit of God esteems God
vs 3-4 - "Words of human wisdom imparted" by his brothers
Natural / Soulish reason says “Success is based on the worlds’ attitude toward and opinion of you”
- The “things of the Spirit of God are folly" to his brothers
- They are “unable to understand them”
#2) vs 6 Time = “Kairos” - opportunity.
For spiritually minded person / disciple - God’s timing is vital
- because something may be in God’s will (Going to the Feast of Booths) but not His timing
For the Naturally minded person - the time is “Always Here” - Take whatever opportunity is the BEST.
#3) vs 7 Jesus (the spiritual person) “judges all things” (even his brothers) - but “is judged by no one” (his soulish brothers)
Naturally Minded / Soul-Dominated Brothers
I Cor 3:1-3
Possible to be a “brother” but not be a spiritual person, to live as a “person of the flesh”
We all drink of the Same Holy Spirit - Same access for all - but it’s possible to be an Infant
Possible to eat solid food and grow to maturity - possible to stay on milk and be stunted in growth.
Basic Principles vs Deep Mysteries
Babies vs Mature Adults
Milk vs Meat
Heb 5:11-14, Heb 6:1
The Consequence of and Solution to living as a “Naturally Minded” person is found in Hebrews 5.
Consequence = Dull of Hearing (“Refused to Listen”)
Solution = the Three things you NEED (Disciplers and Disciples)
1) vs 12 - Someone to teach you again (or the 1st time) the BASIC (Elementary, Rudimentary) principles of the oracles (revelations) of God.
What are the ABCs? The elementary principles of God’s revelation?
- “In the beginning God made….” - Why are we here?
- What is the Gospel? The Good News?
- “To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Col 1:27)
- “I have been Crucified with Christ and I no longer live"…… (Gal 2:20)
- Hearing and obeying His voice.
2) vs 13 - Skill / Maturity / Training in the word of righteousness
3) vs 14 - Constant Practice of your spiritual faculties. Exercise your spirit man! Employ / Use your spirit man!
WHY? FOR WHAT RESULT?
6:1 - “Therefore, let US leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity…” (Completeness)