Matthew 5:6 - Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
I Corinthians 15:44-46
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual.
Eating & drinking are vital to our survival,
but secondary in importance to what we eat & drink.
The provision the Lord made for us in Himself - as the tree of life
1 “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food.
1) Invitation is only open to a certain type of person - “Thirsty”
- Same as Matthew 11 invitation – “Come all who labor and are heavy laden”
- Come to what waters? Waters of life - Revelation 22:17; Living Water - John 4
- Location is a certain person – “Jesus”
- Same as John 7:37 invitation: “If anyone THIRSTS let him come to Me and drink”
2) Buy without money.
- Product is invaluable. Cannot be purchased with anything less than a life
- Seller has ZERO need for financial gain
- Seller is not interested in selling - rather in giving
- Product has already been paid for by the precious blood of Christ (I Peter 1:18-19)
3) “Not Bread” = Not Nourishment, Worthless, Useless, Unhelpful
- Why labor/effort/work for what doesn’t satisfy?
- The more world we get, the more we want & the less satisfied we are with what we’ve got
John 6:5 - “Where will we buy bread?”
5 Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?”
10 Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number.
11 Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated. So also the fish, as much as they wanted.
John 6:10-11: “Sit down…” Jesus’ sustenance can only be received by those who are in opposition of rest.
Hebrews 4: 9-11
9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.
27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.”
28 Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?”
29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”
John 6:27 - ONLY the Son can give us food that endures to eternal life
“WORKS” - Many & Plural
Principle of Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil = We must work for God!
“WORK” - One & Singular
Principle of Tree of Life = Receive Him as Life & Supply
Man’s first day = Rest in God’s finished work
Man’s one & only job = Believe INTO Him. Receive Him as life. Eat/Drink & Abide in Him.
John 6:35 - I am the Bread of Life
35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
John 6:51 - Living Bread nourishes by its own power & resource.
51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
- HOW CAN - He give us his flesh to eat?
- HOW CAN - A man be born again? (3:4)
- HOW CAN - You draw water without a bucket? (4:11)
- HOW? = By Faith
John 6:63 - The flesh is no help at all
63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
Necessity of Spiritual Feeding!
John 6:53 - Unless you eat & drink you have no life in you.
53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
Life & Nourishment are a person
John 6:57 - "Because of Him”
57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me.