An equipping ministry to Disciple the Church.
A mission base to Send the Church.
4 “you are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.”
1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.
2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?
3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?
4 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain?
5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?
"to cast an evil spell, wishing injury upon someone; to bewitch"
– properly, to exercise evil power over someone, like putting them under a spell; (used only in Gal 3:1);
– (figuratively) captivate ("be spellbinding"), appealing to someone's vanity and selfishness; "to blight by the evil eye, bewitch”
Short Definition: I give the evil eye to, fascinate, bewitch, overpower
What "charmed evil spell” was on the Galatians?
A religious spirit had deceived and sidetracked them from the “faith that had come.”
23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed.
24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.
25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
A faith had operated in the Old Covenant, but it was not the faith Paul is talking about.
The “faith that had come” only came because Jesus came - full of grace and truth”.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Grace is the unmerited favor of God provided for man though the work of Jesus Christ which can ONLY be obtained by faith.
Law is the righteous demand of God made upon man which can ONLY be attained by perfect works.
Faith is the only way to receive the grace of God.
This grace and this faith were breaking out even before the death and resurrection of Jesus in his shocking 3-1/2 year ministry of pouring out grace on sinners.
Signs you are Bewitched
1. You live with a regular consciousness of your sins
2. You have added "your works” to your acceptance before God
3. You use your effort to fight sin instead of grace
4. You live in a regular state of shame and condemnation about yourself
5. You respond to Holy Spirit conviction with shame or rebellion instead of faith-filled repentance that receives the grace of God
6. You live in a regular state of criticism about others
7. You are shocked and even begrudge the Kindness of The Lord to a person you deem undeserving
1. Repent for the pride of rejecting the grace of Christ
2. Meditate on the grace of God accomplished in Christ
3. Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth the grace of God for you in all things
4. Reject and turn away from a, “religious spirit” of works
5. Be filled with the Holy Spirit and walk with others doing the same