An equipping ministry to Disciple the Church.
A mission base to Send the Church.
John 6:63a (NIV)
63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing.
Two Central Problems
2) Lack of Confidence
Ephesians 4 - 5
Ephesians 4:1 (NIV)
1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
- Live a life worthy of the calling you have received (this is the “real you” - live like this:)
- Be completely humble & gentle
- Be patient, bearing with one another in love
- Keep (maintain) the unity of the Spirit (which you already possess) thru the bond of peace
Ephesians 4:17 (NIV)
17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.
- you (believers) MUST no longer live as the (unbelieving) Gentiles do (because you CAN).
- how do they live ?
= In the FUTILITY of their minds (the foolishness & emptiness of their souls)
- Futility: “Serving no useful purpose. Completely ineffective” (think UFC fighter)
Ephesians 4:18 (NIV)
18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
OLD MINDSET (v 18) DUE to:
1) the hardening of their hearts
2) they are (willfully) ignorant inside
3) they are separated/alienated from the life of God (having no share in it)
4) they are darkened in their understanding (reasoning is clouded)
Ephesians 4:19 (NIV)
19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.
OLD ACTION (v 19) - Therefore, they have lost all sensitivity (calloused, unfeeling to God’s life) and have:
1) given themselves over to sensuality
2) are indulging in (craving) every kind of impurity
3) are full of greed
HOWEVER (BUT!) - This is not how you learned Christ
= The TRUTH is IN Jesus (revealed in His life, personified in Him)
Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV)
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;
23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
1) Put off your old self (completely discard your former nature)
2) Be made new (continually renewed) in the attitude (spirit) of your minds
3) Put on the new self (regenerated, renewed nature) - which was created to be LIKE GOD (blessed in His image to be fruitful/multiply/fill/subdue/rule) in TRUE Righteousness and Holiness (Truth IN Jesus)
Ephesians 4:25-32 (NIV)
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,
27 and do not give the devil a foothold.
28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 5:1-7 (NIV)
1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children
2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people.
4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient.
7 Therefore do not be partners with them.
- Stop lying
- Speak the truth
- Do not sin in your anger
- Stop stealing and start working
- Share with those in need
- Don’t speak unwholesome / corrupting talk
- Build each other up
- Don’t grieve the Spirit of God
- Get rid of bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, malice
- Be kind and compassionate
- Forgive each other
- Walk in love like God loves you
- Don’t allow a hint of sexual immorality, impurity, greed
- No obscenity, foolish talk, coarse joking
- Be thankful
- No idolatry
- No disobedience
Ephesians 5:8-9 (NIV)
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light
9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
FOR you were once darkness, BUT NOW you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (as those who are native born to the light). FOR the fruit (the effect/result) of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and Truth….
This “New Action” (true Righteousness/Holiness) can ONLY be accomplished with the TRUTH (in Jesus) of the “New Mindset”!
Two ways to live:
1) Like the unbelieving Gentiles (Ephesians 4:17)
2) As children of Light (Ephesians 5:8)
ABRAHAM = DISOBEYED and LIED
SARAH = IMPATIENT, UNBELIEVING, ARGUMENTATIVE, JUDGMENTAL, CRUEL
SARAH = SCOFFING, FEARFUL, LYING again
ABRAHAM and SARAH = PRIDEFUL, FEARFUL, LYING (again), SELFISH
Old Covenant Adjectives for Abraham & Sarah:
New Covenant Lens:
I Peter 3:4-6
New Covenant Adjectives for Abraham & Sarah:
I John 3:19-24