Psalms 84:1-12 (NIV) 1 How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty! 2 My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. 3 Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young—a place near your altar, Lord Almighty, my King and my God. 4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you. 5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage. 6 As they pass through the Valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. 7 They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion. 8 Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty; listen to me, God of Jacob. 9 Look on our shield, O God; look with favor on your anointed one. 10 Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. 11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. 12 Lord Almighty, blessed is the one who trusts in you.
Three Characteristics of a Disciple:
1. Those who Dwell (v1-4)
2. Those who are Strengthened (v5-9)
3. Those who Trust (v10-12)
- They begin to treasure that place
- Described as "lovely"
- A yearning begins - or panting for streams of water
- Heart and flesh become centered on what is "only"
- Desire to be close / near
- Results = Happy & Ever Praising
The prayer of a Dwelling disciple
- Find less and less strength in themselves
- Heart set on pilgrimage
- Valleys transformed into multiple springs
- Results in great strength in their inner man
- Results = Happy & Strong
The prayer of a Strengthened disciple
- His goodness learned through experience
- Less is more if it's with the Lord
- Sun, Shield, Favor, Honor
- Anticipating good things
- Results = Happy & Contented